Pages

24.8.11

Demon-Boy

"Frank couldn't find his ass if he used both hands and a mirror. Whatever thing you think you've got going is worth dick." She smiled that cocky smile of hers and stared out of the window. "So, you're a relational therapist now, are you? I must admit, Jack, with all the women you've torn to pieces, that kind of surprises me. But let's benefit my doubt, shall we? Because I am curious. Why shouldn't I marry Frank?"

The night when Renee was hiding under her bed, she must've known something was wrong. She had just eaten too many oranges and her belly was aching horribly. There was a storm outside and the full moon shone hard, casting murky shadows on the bedroom wall. Her imagination got tangled up in the wrestling marathon of her tummy and gave birth to visions of horrible monsters and bloody battlefields. There was fear in her eyes when Jack called her out from under the bed. He had made her a booboo buddy for her stomach ache, and told her to press the hot sock against her belly. Jack never was a big fan of tragic conversation, but this was one catastrophic event even he couldn't embellish with a zest of comic relief. This was a bitter pill to swallow, for both of them.

"Haven't I always been there for my baby sister? Keep you from getting into trouble?"
The presumptuous and tense smile around her lips ceased to exist as she contemplated on those words. She was fully concentrated now, and Jack had but one shot to keep her from marrying dumb-ass Frank.
"Do you remember that night a couple of months back. You went out on a date with Frank, and in the middle of the night you came knocking on my door. You had sensed something was wrong then, like you very often do. You have a gift to smell the shit before it hits the fence."
"Things have changed, Frank has changed. He was in debt, he got into trouble, and finally he got out."
"No one ever gets out that kind of mess."
"Look, Jack, do you remember about the night our parents died?"
"How could I forget?"
"I had the worst stomachache and you brought…"
"…I brought you a booboo buddy…"
"Yes… I know you feel like you need to take care of me, Jack. Prevent me from making stupid decisions, but I'm a grown woman now, I can deal with this situation."
Jack was losing the battle, running out of artillery to manipulate her mind. Maybe it was time to let go. Maybe.

Renee was sitting on the porch as she peeled the skin from her second orange. The sun blooded the sky. The wind was rushing hard over the fields and through Jacks hair. He wanted to cry but his tears vaporized as soon as they touched his skin. His hands were smeared with blood as he held his mother in his arms. He didn't really want to kill them, just show him he wasn't afraid. Just show him he actually loved that dog. The father took the dog's life as a punishment for the boy's disobedience, and made him bury it. Jack gave him a blow with the shovel in the back of the neck as mother just walked in on them. He had to strangle his mother, while she cursed him to hell. Demon-boy. Only thing he wanted to do was run, but he had to take Renee, he couldn't leave her behind.
"My tummy hurts." Renee cried as Jack ordered her to grab some clothes.

"I'm tired of running, Jack. I have seen the scenery change far too often. I need to settle down. I'm gonna meet with Frank now. And we will get married, with or without your consent."
"You're not meeting Frank, Renee..."

In her eyes he could see the same doubt that clouded her mind all this time from seeing the truth the day they left the house. For Jack, Renee was right about one thing though, they had been running for too long. They had to stop.

"...Frank's dead."

No comments: